The European Bioinformatics Institute of EMBL (European Molecular Biology Laboratory) has led an international effort to launch a Covid-19 Data Portal to allow sharing and analysis of data, to accelerate research into diagnostics, treatment and vaccines.
Published on 20th April, the initiative is the first central repository to house all the published data on SARS-CoV-2 generated since its emergence in Wuhan last year. As well as storing and sharing of coronavirus data, the portal will allow researchers to use EMBL-EBI- developed analysis tools in their studies.
The resources and datasets included in the portal are:
- European Nucleotide Archive (ENA)
- UniProt (protein sequence and functional information)
- Protein Data Bank in Europe (PDBe)
- Electron Microscopy Data Bank (PDBe)
- Expression Atlas
- Europe PMC (open-access publications and pre-prints)
- Genomic data (to be added in the coming weeks)
- A cohort browser for clinical and epidemiological queries (to be added in the coming weeks)
Additional tools are expected to be added to the resource imminently, in collaboration with the intergovernmental body, ELIXIR, and the European Commission.
Here’s a 2 minute video explaining the data portal:
You can access the portal here.